Irondequoit X-ray and Diagnostic Imaging Services
At Irondequoit Animal Hospital, we have advanced diagnostic screening technologies available to help us maintain the health and wellness of your pet for life. We are able to take care of your pet from their puppy or kitten years all the way through their senior days.
X-rays, also known as radiography, use electromagnetic radiation to take a picture of your pet’s insides. This allows your veterinarian to get a look at the bones and internal organs to see if there are any problems internally. This very safe procedure is excellent for dental exams or when checking for trauma injuries, evaluating broken bones, or looking for foreign objects in the body. In order to ensure that they remain still during the process, it may be necessary to anesthetize your pet.
There are some key advantages to using an X-ray:
- Fast and easy process
- Clear images of organs and bones
- Wide views of body parts
The disadvantages of X-rays include:
- Exposure to small doses of radiation
- A single snapshot of a moment in time
Ultrasound imaging uses sound waves to provide real-time images, allowing the vet to move the image around to see different areas inside the pet. Some of the things we can look for include heart function and diagnosing pregnancies. The process is painless, non-invasive and requires no chemicals. Your pet will be alert and awake during the procedure.
The advantages of ultrasound are:
- No known risks
- Safe during pregnancy
- Non-invasive use of sound waves as opposed to radiation
- Real-time images can show blood flow and organ motion
- Excellent for use as a guide during biopsy procedures
The disadvantages of ultrasound include:
- Sound waves cannot penetrate deeply into the body, or through bone
- Ultrasound images cover only a narrow area
Feel free to call us for further information or to make an appointment online. We would love to have you join our family.